We all go through phases of our lives where things seem easy, and other times when they seem impossible. If we take a deeper look into the hardest times, we realize that something shifted, causing difficulty one way or another. We don’t like the change that occurred, so we fight against it. This conditions us to think that all change is negative. In order to find peace, we must adjust our relationship with change. But how do we embrace change, when we currently find it so uncomfortable?
1. Stop fighting against the situation and surrender to it. When things happen in our lives that we do not like, we tend to resist it with all we’ve got. All that does is create a lot of stress and tension in our lives. When you can accept the situation for what it is and surrender to the fact that this is the reality that you’re dealing with, you can find peace. We waste so much energy in the mental struggle of resistance, and once we can let that go, it frees us to find solutions.
2. Look for the opportunity that lies within the challenge. One of the most powerful things you can do in the face of a hardship is to ask yourself the following questions: What message am I meant to receive right now? What can I learn from this? How can I grow? What can I do differently next time? How can I make myself better for having gone through this? When you take the time to ask yourself these questions, something profound always comes up, and you’re able to move forward with your life in a positive way.
3. Envision your best possible outcome. We tend to expect the worst when thinking about changes that scare us. Why? The situation has not even happened yet! Why not try expecting the best-case scenario instead? Close your eyes and visualize how you would ideally like to see this situation play out. What is the best outcome for this situation? Picture it with as much detail as you can, as often as you can. You’ll be surprised how often things work out the way you envisioned them (good or bad).
4. Expect that change will lead you somewhere better. Now that you’ve practiced envisioning your best possible outcome, the next step is to start shifting your expectations. Have faith that the situation in front of you can lead you down a path that will take you somewhere far better than where you were.
5. Strive for more in your life and embrace that the only way to receive it is through change. A wise man once told me “if you keep doing what you’ve always done, you’re only going to get what you’ve already got.” If you want a different outcome, you need to change something. What do you want? What will bring you more joy? Once you’re clear on where you want to go, embrace the changes needed to get there.